Welcome to Orchard View Middle School
35 South Sheridan, Muskegon, Michigan 49442
Ph: 231.760.1500 Fax: 231.760.1506
Dear Orchard View Middle School Families!
The 2018-2019 school year is upon us, and we have some amazing things planned for our young people!
Orchard View Middle School is focused on making sure our students are developing the skills necessary to survive in the 21st century. Students will be connecting what they learn to the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Mathematics (S.T.E.A.M).
The world our kids live in gets more and more complex every day. This year, your students’ thinking will be challenged in new ways. Teachers will be implementing new tools and new ways of teaching. The following things are just a few of the changes/additions students can expect this year at Orchard View Middle School:
- Every student will have a personal Chromebook computer to use daily at school.
- Along with the Chromebooks, new science curriculum (IQWST) and new math tools (MathXL) have been added to support students as we challenge their thinking and help them learn.
- Project-based Learning (PBL) Academy is available for incoming sixth graders
- STEM is now STEAM – All students will be exposed to the arts:
- Sixth graders will take their choice of music. They may choose band or choir for the year
- After sixth grade, they may drop music if they choose.
- Graphic Arts has been added to the encore wheels for sixth, seventh, and eighth grade.
- Graphic Arts will include traditional art values and concepts with the addition of learning how to digitize, advertise, and use technology to create art.
- As part of our STEAM initiative, every student will be given a free T-shirt and backpack the first week of school.
- Co-teaching will be in place in 12 classrooms throughout the day
- That means twelve classes will have two teachers in the same room. This will make it easier for students that learn at different speeds to always be challenged and supported.
- The partnership between the Career Tech Center (CTC) and OVMS is growing
- Sixth, seventh, and eighth graders will now have the options of signing up and taking welding classes and engineering classes alongside ninth and tenth graders as part of the Third Session at the CTC.
- All eighth grade students will take a Careers Class to help them connect their experiences and interests to potential occupations and job opportunities (and to OV high school courses).
- After school programs will be built around student interests. Students will plan the after school programs. Programs last year included:
- Cooking Class
- Dog Training
- Welding (at the CTC)
- Tech Club
- Art Club
- Fun and Games
- Late Bus will continue to run. NEST will continue to be available for students that need extra support or a place to study.
We are genuinely excited about the new tools and plans in place to support our students. If you have any questions, concerns, or ideas, don’t hesitate to contact the principal, Mr. Joshua Smith.
Mr. Smith can be reached at 760-1501.
Plan to visit and check out the exciting things happening at OVMS this year. Here’s to a great school year!
Mr. Joshua Smith
Middle School Announcements
Middle School Calendar
|‹ October 2018 ›|
Early Release @ 12:35 p.m.Oct 24Middle School Main Calendar